Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Baby's breath

I was putting Julian down for a nap just now and noticed his breath. These short little ‘haa has’ interrupted by little burbs or a wee gurgle. You could just imagine his tiny lungs filling up to their capacity and slowly pushing the air out through that tiny mouth. Over and over and over again. On their own. Independent of me. Inside their own unique, individual being.

Then we said goodnight to John, Paul, George, Ringo and another Paul. I laid him in the crib, and he grabbed Bear-Dog, his singing, colorful, light-flashing crib companion. “Whheeeeeee….I love you,” the strangely lifelike voice said. Julian chuckled and I rubbed him on the belly. Sweet dreams, Julian. “You’re my friend,” Bear-Dog exclaimed as I turned and quietly closed the door.

No comments: