Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Florida farewell

Even as I left Florida by Ricci

Add to My Profile | More Videos

My friend Ricci is leaving Florida. She's lived here since she and Troy moved there after graduation. So two years-ish. She's a journalist, a seeker, a good spirit. I didn't know her that well in college, just through Troy, and Troy was her roommate in Sarasota when he died in June 2006. It was hard enough for me to lose my best friend while I was thousands of miles away; I could not imagine going through how she has. Sorting his books and clothes. Walking down the same sidewalks, the same beaches. There is much more to be said about this, but not here.

I'm posting Ricci's farewell video to Florida; she's moving to Senagal, moving on from her first jobs out of college. I can't wait to hear about her adventures. Makes me realize even more that she's going to make this dream of freelancing really come true. But she had to say goodbye. I really liked this style of video, the music, the pace, the colors. Watching Troy's last months come alive before my eyes. When all of those pictures were taken, I was in Austin, starting a new chapter of my own. I hadn't had the chance to visit him, so the people, the places, the stories were always diluted by the static through which he told me about them over the phone.

Ricci's very brave in leaving what looks like an incredible time behind. I'm sure there are many more for this awesome girl to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this video too. Thank for your words on my blog. It's been a long year, but things are on the upswing. Big time.

Anonymous said...

I'm focused on Troy, of course, since I didn't know Ricci. He was happy until the very end. Great video; I'm grateful you shared it with us so we can visit it anytime we need a Troy moment.