Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The good, the funny, the ugly

A few things from the past few days:

The good:

Musician Marketa Irglova's acceptance speech Sunday for winning an Oscar for best song. She and Glen Hansard accepted the award for "Falling Slowly" from the movie "Once."
Hi everyone. I just want to thank you so much. This is such a big deal, not only for us, but for all other independent musicians and artists that spend most of their time struggling, and this, the fact that we're standing here tonight, the fact that we're able to hold this, it's just to prove no matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible. And, you know, fair play to those who dare to dream and don't give up. And this song was written from a perspective of hope, and hope at the end of the day connects us all, no matter how different we are. And so thank you so much, who helped us along way. Thank you.



The funny:



The ugly:

Texas Gov. Rick Perry was interviewed by Deborah Solomon of the New York Times Magazine this week. I'm not allowed to make comments on politics here, thus the text of the previous post removed, per ethics policy at work, but I will provide you a snippet of the interview.

Let’s talk about your new book, “On My Honor,” which draws on your experience as an Eagle Scout and champions the values of the Boy Scouts of America, to whom you are donating your royalties.

Yes, to their legal-defense fund.

Which has been fighting the A.C.L.U., to keep gays out of the scouts. Why do you see that as a worthy cause?

I am pretty clear about this one. Scouting ought to be about building character, not about sex. Period. Precious few parents enroll their boys in the Scouts to get a crash course in sexual orientation.

Why do you think a homosexual would be more likely to bring the subject of sex into a conversation than a heterosexual?

Well, the ban in scouting applies to scout leaders. When you have a clearly open homosexual scout leader, the scouts are going to talk about it. And they’re not there to learn about that. They’re there to learn about what it means to be loyal and trustworthy and thrifty.

But don’t you think that homosexuals might also be interested in being loyal and thrifty?

The argument that gets made is that homosexuality is about sex. Do you agree?

No.

Well, then why don’t they call it something else?

Did you know that there are no term limits for governor in Texas?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

dare I dream,
a dream of hope.
at the end of the day
we're connected in a way.
where there is no honor in bouts
to keep gays out of the scouts.
and people like Rick Perry
are treated like fat back thats hairy.

Addie said...

I could not have put it better myself. I didn't know you were a poet...

Anonymous said...

my intentions were to just type a rhyme about bacon and rick perry, but just as I typed "dare I dream," (and I shit you not) the sun came from behind a cloud and completely blinded me while I was sitting on the couch. so I decided to make a full verse. I battled the sun by squinting and switching hands while typing and visoring (but it should be a word). I clicked publish and just as fast as the sun had blinded me it faded away....... shit, you, not.

dan said...

Let's grind up a couple of pounds of bacon in a meat grinder and make bacon burgers. Then we can add cheese and bacon strips and have bacon-bacon cheeseburgers. Um good.

Addie said...

Mmmmmmm. Sounds delicious! Those bacon cups were also a good idea.
http://www.notmartha.org/archives/2008/02/27/bacon-cups/

Jenny said...

So as a parent of a son I'm wondering what to do since boy scouts are a no go. I really liked girl scouts. It's a shame I can't enroll him in that.

Addie said...

I didn't have a good Girl Scout experience because I was always complaining about not being able to do "boy stuff," like learn how to start a fire and go camping. I've heard about the Venture Club, which includes both boys and girls in a Boy Scout sort of way, but I'm not sure the ins and outs of their background, ie if radical conservatives control their every move.

Something to think about though. I know many, many people who swear by the Scouts (or at least the skills and camaraderie they teach).

Jenny said...

Hmm... you must have gotten a bum troop. We definitely did plenty of "boy stuff." This meant that when a circuit blew in a university class (we had a ton of hairdryers plugged in to dry our masks) I was the only one who knew how to fix it. The girl scouts I was around were crazy liberal though.

Addie said...

I wish I would have had a good group like that growing up. My troop was in good old Aurora, MO (where my parents are just about the only liberal thing around, but shhh, don't tell anybody). We made sit-upons and sang kumbaya around a fire that no one let us even close to. Nor could we spend the night outside. They just trucked us to the campsite and trucked us back.

Fixing circuits! Yeah! I wish I knew how to do that stuff...