Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Looking out from inside the Observatory

An election day that will surely end crazier than most days around here begins as many days lately have: me sleeping in 'cause I get home late from work, waking up in time to put Julian down for a nap, eat breakfast and think about going back to bed. It seems like the schedule around here has been sprint-crawl for a few weeks. From a lazy day when I don't leave the house except to go to work, others when there are a thousand things to do (wedding invitations, anyone?) before I step foot in the office. My two online classes are overlapping these next few weeks. It doesn't really matter how well I do in either (one's a headline-writing course; the other is for HTML), but I don't want to just blow them off and do poorly. So I've added a few more things to my plate and my body's readjusting to the extra work.

It's a give and take, though. I'm still halfway through Middlesex, progressing a page or two at a time before something comes up that I have to take care of. I've been relying on easy-to-throw-together meals lately, which means I haven't been eating or cooking like I want to. Julian and I did manage to watch the season 3 finale of Lost yesterday (wow! I love that show!), and Ian and I have arranged a few dates in the past few weeks, the most recent of which deserves it's own paragraph.

Ghostland Observatory is an Austin band that blew up a few years ago after a performance at the ACL Fest. The duo plays pretty awesome electronic dance music; the lead singer wears his hair in Willie-style pigtails and evokes Freddie Mercury in a very good way. We saw them at a CD release party for their new album "Robotique Majestique" at the newly renovated Austin Music Hall downtown. We danced and danced and danced. Damn, it was a good time. Members of the Longhorn drum and horn line came out at the end, at which time I promptly freaked out and danced some more. Felt good to get out to a show. We don't do that as often as I'd like, but when we do, it's a good time.

Before the show, Ian and I hit the Tiniest Bar in Texas, in honor of the recently Coloradofied Blythe. She's started her new reporting job at a newspaper out there. Seems happy about the move; I'm so glad for her. She's an adventurer whose adventure here had dimmed. It was time to take on something. We all miss her so. Work just isn't as fun without her. I keep thinking she's on vacation and she'll be back in a few days...

Anyway, here are a couple Ghostland songs for your to enjoy (or to decide you hate. The first song here is their big "hit" from the last album. The second is a new single of the new one. Having listened to all of "Majestique", I kinda prefer the older stuff.)





And a little Julian to get you through the day:

1 comment:

erin said...

It's great to hear about your life lately. I'd love to talk to you this weekend if you can find some time. :) You are a wonderfully busy adventurer yourself Addie.

I want to check out Ghostland Observatory!!! Someone mentioned they're coming here around St. Patty's weekend. And I wanted to come down tonight actually for the first weekend of SXSW but...(and we need to talk about it this weekend) my car and myself were hit by a tree last weekend. A complete freak accident. I am lucky to be alive. Insurance is still figuring things out but I should know more today.

So I'm sad to say, I don't know when I'll be able to make it down next. :p

Besos guapa. Talk soon.