Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Gary Vaynerchuk is on purpose

I wonder if Gary Vaynerchuk and Wayne Dyer know each other. Both Dyer, the spiritual teacher and author, and GaryV, the host of Wine Library TV who I wrote about in today's paper, spend a lot of time using their natural ability to affect change on people.


Dyer does it outright with all those books and seminars (check him out if you don't know him), but Mr. Vaynerchuk uses, of all things, a wine blog in which he shouts at plastic wrestling figures, spits in a bucket and asks viewers about the last thing that made them smile. Don't groan. He means it. He wants to know where the love is at.

When you are achieving your destiny, Dyer calls it being "on purpose." Those Ask and It is Given folks says you are in vibrational harmony with the source. I got the essence of what people love about him. The sincerity, the passion, the heartfelt words. I've met few people who are so truly on purpose as him.

Garyvee is on path in his role as a uniter and motivator. We had such interesting conversations about media and community, two things that are merging so publicly and virtually with the explosion of social networking. But talking about that led us to talk about strengthening our real-life relationships with friends and family. What gives us true joy, what losses hurt the most, what events will bring the next wave of personal change. I met a ton of people at a wine tasting with him in Houston who left the party feeling closer with the friends they came with. When I got home the next day, I kissed my family a little longer.

Gary's keenly aware of these interviews and public appearances and the process through which his words make it into newspapers, magazines and Web pages. So, even though these quotes from the drive (they didn't make the story) are out of context, I think they really give some more insight into what Gary's up to.

"I'm so not into things that separate people into groups."

"People talk about the romance of opening up the newspaper. There was a romance to making smoke signals, too."

"I don't feel like a jerk talking about (my charisma), because I don't think I deserve credit."

"I'm never half pregnant."

"If you think, 'Ooo, video blogging, I'm going to make money doing that,' you've already lost."

"It is my life to build community."

"LeBron James didn't read about being a great basketball player. I didn't read about marketing."

"Until I know someone, I'm not going to judge them. It's the same thing with wine."

"People are scared to go after what they want because either their parents or society told them not to and they believed them."

"People don' t understand how hard I really work. That's the part that's not sexy."

"I think the reason I'm so in tune with my palate is the same reason I'm so in tune with my soul."