Monday, June 9, 2008

What it's like to be a food writer, so far

I haven't written much about the new job, well, because I've been writing a lot at the new job. Stories, yet, but you wouldn't believe how many keystrokes go to blogging and e-mails alone. I do love me some technology, however, and have jumped on the Twitter bandwagon (broylesa is my name, so have a look and see what you think.) and have been trying to blog like crazy over at Relish Austin. By doing it regularly, I'm hoping to get some readers and get myself used to that blend of work/personal, laid back/professional. It's a tricky balance right now, but I'm working on it.

Since getting back from my road trip last week with Gary Vaynerchuk, I've been booking it on some stories and trying to keep my head above water with e-mails, possible stories, contacts and reader feedback.

The e-mails are mostly from PR folks wanting me to check out a new product, Web site, cookbook or strange berry from South America that will lower my risk of cancer. Some reader mail, which is always fun to reply to. (Only one or two nasty ones, a pretty good record I'd say, seeing as how people take their pie pretty seriously in Texas.) Not too many comments on the blog still...(hint hint and thanks to those who have)

Oh and the snail mail and packages. Even before I started my job officially, I was getting tons of promotional items from companies hoping I'll write about their product. I've received everything from charcoal to spices to a block of Parmesan cheese. And don't forget the books. It's easy to get buried beneath the piles of books, on subjects ranging from cupcake decorating to kosher meals to the best clam shacks in Massachusetts. I donated a bunch to the company book sale earlier this week, the profits of which go to charity. I've held a few back for reference and taken a few home to try.

Speaking of the blog, the "What's in Your Fridge Friday" feature I'm really excited about. I've already lined up a couple of great locals (a hip hop artist/VJ and a nationally renown author) for the next few weeks, so give it a look. And send me a photo of your fridge :).

I'm also going to start a monthly meetup, where I get together with whoever the heck wants to at some random place in town to get to know folks and talk about anything remotely related to food. Appetizers with Addie. I'll launch it this week, probably to take place the week after next. Where should we go? The Ginger Man? Jovitas? Some place up north I don't know about yet?

It's weird being around food (and everything food-related) all day and simultaneously thinking about your own food needs and likes and dislikes. I've already learned that going to our weekly food meeting leaves my stomach painfully grumbling after it's over. Hearing Dale Rice talk about his recent trip to China and all the good food he ate and learned to cook, or listening to our designer regal us with stories of her garden's bounty.

I got caught eating a cup of instant noodles (I was in a pinch, promise!) when I first started, but around the holidays, I'm sure I'll be able to sustain myself on office food alone. Haven't gained any weight — so far.

I've received some new products I thought would taste great but that actually tasted horrible (olive oil, certain trail mixes) and some products I thought would be gag-worthy but that were actually pretty good (cocoa almonds).

Just shows you can't judge a food by anything but its taste.