Sunday, October 26, 2008

Virtual housecleaning


Sundays are for housecleaning online as well. I added an RSS feed button (that little orange box with a volume/speaker/RSS logo in it) for those of you who want to subscribe to La Vie Dansante. If you're not familiar with RSS feeds or feed readers, don't just zone out here.

Feed readers, such as Google Reader (which I'm a fan of), help you more efficiently read your favorite blogs and Web sites. Instead of going to each of the 15 or 150 blogs you like, you set up an account with a feed reader (Google Reader, Bloglines, Newsgator, etc) and then "subscribe" to a blog either by clicking on the now ubiquitous orange box like the one at the top of this page or typing in the blog URL in the "add subscription" box in the reader.

Then, when you log into your reader, any new blog posts pop up in that screen. So why go through the hassle of doing this? If you take the time to set it up, it will save you the time of going to your favorite blogs every day just to find out if there's been a new post. If you only read 4-5 blogs, it's probably not worth it. But if you have several dozen that you at least want to keep an eye on, it is pointless to use your bookmark tab.

Also, I set up a Flickr account for GaGa so she can see all the adorable photos of Julian, but I haven't received any other friend requests from Flickr(!). I'll reiterate that Flickr is EASY TO JOIN and will be the ONLY WAY to see most of the kiddo pictures (I've given a sampling of the previous posts photos in this post). Just go to Flickr.com and sign up, then search "broylesa" and I should come up. Then hover over my photo and click "add as contact."

Web 2.0 is easy. Taking advantage of the social media functions of Web sites is fun. Like Gary Vaynerchuk says, Don't be a lurker!

I meant to post this on Sunday and do some housecleaning around addiebroyles.com, especially with the section of my clips from the Statesman. I've had a bunch of cool stuff lately that I've neglected to share on here or there, and I ran out of time yesterday to do so. Hopefully I'll find time later this week...

Oh, time, precious time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget my favorite rss reader... netvibes.com
it should be everyones homepage!