Sunday, February 15, 2009

How to become a food writer in 2009

I get queries every few weeks, either in the form of Facebook messages or during a panel discussion I'm participating in, from people who'd like the opportunity to write about food for a living. It humbles me that I have been given the opportunity to do this and reminds me not to take it (all of it: the job, the blog, the column, the Twitter following, the food writing/blogging community that supports each other) for granted.

Here's what I told one aspiring food writer today:

So here's what I'd have to say about food writing. First of all, you're without a doubt off to a good start with the blog. I think it's already an above average blog, so just keep it up, cultivating your readers through comments (leave comments as often as you can on others' blogs and respond to those on yours), twitter, facebook, etc.

I'd just try to get a job anywhere right now, and when you get there, bring (or cultivate) social media in the newsroom. If you end up with a job doing PR or community relations for a food company or nonprofit (which is actually a great place to start), you can do the same thing. The idea is to just get as involved in the community you're working for/with. Use facebook and twitter for both personal and professional and give more than you get. Check out GaryVaynerchuk.com, and be inspired.

I love blogging. It waxes and wanes, but just embrace that as part of the experience. Start tracking your readers. Use a Google Reader to read/skim as many food blogs as you can (you'll find lots of inspiration there). The food job kind of found me (the old writer retired; I optimistically applied and convinced them that my tech know-how would benefit the newspaper tremendously. The gamble has paid off for both my editors and me.), so keep your mind open for unique opportunities that might not have to do with food, but that have an environment you could flourish in.

Hope this helps! Says GaryV, whose Wine Library TV has revolutionized food/wine video blogging and online personal branding, there's a lot of money to be made in this economy, you just have to hustle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And good advice it was!