Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Cranes, red squirrels and membership drives



Who needs cable when you have a good PBS station?

Ours, KLRU, is in the middle of another fund drive, but this one there seems to be more at stake. They had to cut “Docubloggers,” one of my favorite shows, but they still support creative documentary shows like POV, which aired an episode called “Shorts” tonight.

What better programming for a Tuesday night at home with a machine- and animal-obsessed toddler. Ian and I were enthralled, the cute little red British squirrels, just trying to make it with the onslaught of those gray American squirrels. And the South China Mall, twice the size of the Mall of America, but nary a soul in sight. Empty storefronts and gaping hallways. Capitalism on steroids gone awry. And, oh, Mommy, look at all the cranes!

A little something for everybody and incredibly entertaining television.



So much talk of “Mad Men” and even a show I love, “Lost,” on the major networks, but so few people really pay attention to what PBS does.

I know I sound like I’m 60, but as a social media and new media geek, they are doing some really interesting and engaging things.

Sorry, KLRU. I wish I could give you more money. I hope this encouragement helps.

2 comments:

scott said...

May I point out that in a true system of capitalism there must be a sound system of money (backed by gold or silver) with interest rates to be set by the free market. Blaming capitalism for the failure of a system with fiat money and interest rates manipulated by a small group of people is just unfair. Or were you implying all of this by suggesting the use of "steroids"?
Call me sometime:> miss you guys

Earth Mama Sarah said...

I know! Who needs cable, though? I watch the PBS stations *all* the time. Did you seen that one about music around the world? They meshed together people from across the globe singing the same songs, and it was AWESOME!!! I don't remember the name, or even the major premise (peace through music?), but it was definitely one of the best doc's I've seen.... still excited about lost, though! heehee