Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Halloween in Missouri



We're getting back into the swing of things in Austin after our trip to Missouri over the weekend. It was time for a fall visit, something I don't think I've done since I was pregnant with Julian (which meant I couldn't ride the roller coasters at Silver Dollar City. Yes, I was pissed, but I'm over it. :))

Just Julian and I went; Ian needed some time to record his next album, and everyone knows that a break from the norm does everyone wonders. Going to Missouri as a family has been the norm for a number of holidays, which is why we aren't going back for Thanksgiving or Christmas. I don't think I've missed both since I lived in Spain, but we need a break from the traditional fall/holiday schedule.

The trip this time was one of the best. The leaves were crisp and bright yellow and orange. We went to a pumpkin patch and on a hay ride. Stopped by a Marionville orchard to buy apples and hot cider. Ate both cashew chicken and blue corn popcorn. Hung out with one of childhood friend Lindsey's new baby and all the Missouri family members, which now includes Mimi and Woody, my dad's mom and stepdad.

Trick-or-treating was a blast, even though Julian didn't want to wear his costume. My sister took the cake with her Mary Poppins outfit. My mom and I, as usual, raided her closet. The dress I'm wearing she remembers wearing when she was pregnant with Chelsea.

History. Family. Home. All in one neat little package called Aurora.

2 comments:

Cookieman said...

What great memories we made! It is amazing how many family and friends you saw during your short stay. You both have a knack for making everyone special!!

Earth Mama Sarah said...

Wow, it actually looks like fall there! looks like you two had a blast! mmmm, homemade pie and blue popcorn- and, holy gourds! love the caterpillar picture, and what is that food that looks like cloves of purple garlic?