Friday, November 16, 2007

I feel it all

We are headed to the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex today for some quality family T-day time. Getting a late start, as you can tell. That's what happens when you have a dog to drop off and a load of laundry to do. I'll try not too hard to focus on the fact that we're breaking rule Numero Uno of traveling Broyles style: Do not burn daylight. Clearly, we're already http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gifa Knox-Broyles household. We won't leave before noon. Unheard of = yes. Something I'm just going to accept and make the most of = yes.

Did y'all like that Golden State song? I'm a big fan of sharing music and new artists, so I'm going to try to post more songs on here. I love this so-called Web 2.0, where the goal is to give Internet users access to the tools they want/need to make the Internet work for them. Imeem is a perfect example. I googled "John Doe Golden State" and found exactly what I wanted: an mp3 with an option to embed the file and player on whatever page I wanted. People do the same thing with Myspace; I just use the Web site instead. Today, I go back to Imeem (See what happens when you deliver a product that someone wants? An instant fan and invaluable word-of-mouth advertising. Erin would be proud.) and dig around. I quickly stumble upon Miss Feist herself, who's been enjoying quite the surge in much-deserved popularity after this recent album, "The Reminder." Girl snagged herself an Apple commercial for chrissake.

Here's one of my favorite tracks off the album and you tell me what you think.



Been feeling pretty good lately. After that spate of sickness/fussiness from the kid, our momentum is back. Ian's been recording a lot lately. He's got some killer tracks laid down for some of those songs. "Very Phil Spector" he's calling his recording style. Old Phil Spector, right? Too bad most people of my generation will only know him because of this murder he's accused of. The Wall of Sound was his idea. Everything from hip hop to modern country uses it these days. All those layers of music on top of one another. Just makes things more interesting, more engaging. Ian's doing a really good job of that with his album. I even caught him using a capo to turn an electric guitar into a mandolin. That crafty kid.

Music is really both a curse and a blessing for him. Tortured artist is so cliche, but damn is it true. Recording can either put him in the best of moods or the worst. He just wants it to be so perfect.

.....

damn, since I started writing this post I read a refusing-to-nap Julian two books, gave him a bath, fed him some peaches, put away the dishes, filled the dishwater, burned the crap out of my thumb and two fingers, stepped barefoot in peaches and realized exactly how much work it will be to take the family away from home for two and a half days.

My initial cheery disposition has been sucked from me (temporarily, I hope). Maybe I'll remember to pack some more in addition to the hundred other things a good mom is required to remember to ensure we make it through the end of the trip, everyone fed, clothed, well-rested and intact. Uff.

Wish me luck.

No comments: