Saturday, April 12, 2008

Long time no post

I've been slacking on the posts lately. Hope you don't mind the sporadic bursts of posts or photos and the ocassional dry spells. Since we've been back, I've been doing double duty at the paper. I won't officially start as food writer until the end of the month, but I've been dabbling in activities several days this week and again tomorrow. The Texas Hill Country Food and Wine Festival is going on and it's been fun meeting some of the folks I'll be working with in the future. I even got to go to a wine tasting yesterday and introduce myself to some winemakers in the state. Much fun, indeed. I've also been trying to come up with a name for the blog I'll soon launch on statesman.com, that I promise I will tend to with more regularity than I have this one. Addled Appetite seems a bit negative, no? Almost Full could be fun. Relish Austin is another idea. Broyler Plate was something else I was toying with (get it? broiler plate?). Anyway, your suggestions are encouraged.

I'm in the middle of a seven-day stretch at work, and I have a split weekend this week. So things are a little wonky for everybody right now. Bless Ian's little heart for being so great to take care of Julian extra while I do double duty elsewhere right now. He's probably not going to make his self-imposed deadline of finishing his album by this summer. Maybe we can scrounge up some alone time for him in the next week...

For now, something fun the New York Times led me to: www.barackobamaisyournewbicycle.com


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Broyler Plate.... hmmmm. Does that even exist or make sense? it definitely sounds good but I'm not so sure about what it really means. As for Ian completing his album, you probably didn't factor in Julian and I hanging out all the time while you and Ian take some well deserved breaks. I'll be living there in a couple weeks..... say it out loud with me.... "living there, in a couple weeks." crazy huh

erin said...

I like Broyler Plate as well. :) It's your name and Plate is better than Relish, phonetically speaking.

I can't wait to see Julian next and see how big he's getting. And your wedding party is part of my thoughts everyday. Can't wait!

talk to you soon Addie Eve.

Addie said...

Relish Austin has been getting some votes around the newsroom, but I still have a few weeks to decide. Wow! Scott, you might even be here before they let me start my new job! Well, hopefully the 28th will be my start date, so that is technically a couple weeks. "A couple weeks." Really? So cool. And just wait until you see Julian now. He's a freaking riot.

Anonymous said...

I selfishly vote for the Broyler pun to be a part of the equation in your blog. Remember your roots are from the kitchen anyway- Maternal maiden name "Cook", paternal name "Broyles." How fun is it that you are a food editor? I'll play around with some ideas for the fun of it.

Relish Austin gives ownership to the community, Broyler Plate is a more personal spin. It depends on what you want to accomplish and how the newspaper wants you and your blog to be perceived. Fun to play with ideas though.