Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Stipeful



Oh, Michael Stipe. How you still have it. I really love this single off their most recent album Accelerate, but I think I love even more that they've posted the original video data online and are encouraging listeners to re-edit the video for "Supernatural Superserious."

REM has been together longer than I've been alive, and even though they are on a major label, they are coming up with some of the coolest stuff in the industry. No, they aren't the first band to do this, but this is right up there with Radiohead giving away In Rainbows.
Users are given an artist's work and encouraged to do with it what they please. REM also agreed to let NPR stations across the country broadcast their show at SXSW last month. And they're even giving great interviews to Terry Gross on Fresh Air. They're all over the place, working the media and letting the media work them.
So. Very. Smart.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Did you see the video where Michael Stipe explains that his bandmates have decided to out themselves as heterosexual. Hilarious. I LOVE REM. Always have.

Raeanne! said...

loooove this song, love R.E.M. and that site with all the raw footage is so clever. i think i need this album, today.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Monitor de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://monitor-de-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.