Monday, May 25, 2009

One year down, many more to come


One year ago today, Ian and I faced each other at my uncle's house and, through the tears, try to explain our love both to each other and to our family and friends who'd gathered in a circle around us.

Julian, only 16 months old, was in my arms, and Ian, so handsome in his mustard pants and neatly trimmed hair, held my hand as we opened our mouths and let the words flow. Neither of us wrote vows, so we spoke from the heart.

365 days of marriage later, I'd bet a million dollars that the words would be different if we were doing it all over again.

Love -- and loving Ian -- is such an ever-changing, but ever-present constant. Every day it's different and rarely does it become easier to describe. (Sing it with me now: "Some say love, it is a river....")

It hasn't been easy, but today does feel worthy of a celebration. Being in a happy marriage is not a given, and all that we've experienced and all that we've grown is something to be proud of.


(And for all the wonderful new people who have come into my life in the past year, here's a link to more wedding goodness, including pictures of the pig we roasted, a story I'm never got around to writing for the paper. Hopefully that will change later this summer.)

Photos by Brian Diggs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to read your words of love about the first year of your marriage. -mom