Sunday, December 2, 2007

Project Ugly?

Bravo, Bravo, for finally showing a so-called "encore" presentation of the new . Usually you can't turn on the TV without running into reruns on this channel, but not so thttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gifhis season. They must be taking away the supply to increase the demand. From the episodes I've seen so far, this is definitely the least-interesting season.

Interesting or not, I'm obsessed. Have been since second season. Something about how they pick the fabrics and sketch the outlines and, more often than not, create something really intriguing. I have a small obsession with all things sewing right now. I may just be mastering patchwork designs for Christmas presents, but I can pretend I know what's going on with these amazing designers who make it to the show and who can actually create beautiful pieces to wear.

Some thoughts on last week's show (Episode 3, I believe):

The designers are asked to make menswear for former football player/"Today" show correspondent Tiki Barber? Who is this? He is gorgeous, you are right, Ricky. (I wonder if he can make it through the entire episode without crying.) That's why he's on the Today show, silly.

They try to focus on what the average person would wear, but they very rarely actually succeed. The outfit Sarah Jessica Parker picked last week to be included in her Bitten line was SO unwearable. It was a cape with a vest. I may not know a thing about what's fashionable, but I know I'd never even try that on in a store.

They are really pushing the "make it work" tagline, which is extremely annoying. Nothing worse than trying too hard to brand something, right Planning Newbie? One auf Wiedersehen from Heidi at the end is plenty of forced reality tv-isms.

It's more David Beckham, Heidi hisses. What? You've got to be joking. She says that like it's a bad thing. Seal could probably learn a thing or two about fashion from Mr. Beckham. I'd also really like to know where they got these God awful male models. They aren't attractive, and I understand the ugly model concept, but they can't even walk! There are thousands of male models around the country screaming at their televisions in disbelief. I join them.

At the end, all of the suits were horrendous. I'm so glad this challenge doesn't happen every season because being able to design fashionable womens' AND mens' clothing is just crazy. Pick one thing and do it well. I guarantee you Michael Kors, minus all of his stitching monkey who do his work now, couldn't make anything better in the day and a half they were given.

You're Out: Oh, here come the tears! Ricky made it to next week, but just barely. I don't imagine he'll be around for much longer. Carmen got a raw deal by losing on menswear. But it really could have been any of them. Below, the winning and losing designs. Think you can pick which one was the winner? Both are pretty lame if you'd ask me. Maybe we should ask David Beckham.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Reading this to while away the time while pumping... they really couldn't walk, could they? Why didn't anybody just make the guy a sweater? Wouldn't that have been easier? A nice sweater and slacks and bob's your uncle.

steph said...

I've been pretty disappointed in this season so far. A lot of the clothes seem to be well-made (well, except the last challenge) but they're uuuugly.